Coyote Reading Program
The DC PTA is excited to kick off another year of the Coyote Reading Program! We owe a special thanks to Pauline Brown for putting the Reading Program together. This is a very valuable program in the education of our DC Students and we really appreciate all of the hard work that goes into organizing it!
The Coyote Reading Program is designed to encourage your children to read outside of school, track their progress against their reading goals, and celebrate their reading success! READING ROCKS…and we want to create some fun around reading!
Above you will find all of the infomation to get you started! Just click on the document links. Each month a new reading log will be available below. One will also come home from your child’s teacher. Please complete the reading log at home and track the number of minutes your child reads each day. Each month we will collect the logs, record the total minutes read by your child, and rank their totals as well as their classmates to recognize our top readers by grade level.
The Coyotes Reading Program operates on the honor system. We depend on the integrity of students and parents to complete the logs with accurate totals. Parents are required to verify the totals on the log and sign it before it is turned in.
Reading goals for the year:
- K – 2nd 15 min/ day, 7 days a week, Sept – April = 3360 minutes
- 3rd – 6th 20 min/ day, 7 days a week, Sept – April = 4480 minutes
- 7th – 8th 30 min/ day, 7 days a week, Sept – April = 6720 minutes
- Each student will receive one Coyote Dollar for every completed reading log they turn in. Coyote Dollars can be spent at the Coyote Store (which will be open Fridays before school) or saved and spent at the end of the year at the Coyote Carnival!
- The student with the highest number of minutes read over their goal, per grade each month, will receive a certificate of achievement, recognition in morning announcements, and $5.00 in Coyote Dollars.
- The grade that achieves the highest percent over their reading goal per month will earn an extra recess!
- The class that achieves the highest percent over their reading goal per month will earn a Sonic Smoothie Party for the class!
- Results will be announced monthly, as well as posted in the media center on the reading Program bulletin board.
- The top three students, per grade, meeting or exceeding their reading goal at the end of the year, will receive a certificate of recognition and special achievement medal…GO FOR GOLD!
Reading logs will be DUE THE FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH each month. They can be turned into your teacher or the media center. They must be turned in on time, with total minutes calculated and a parent signature to be eligible for recognition!